[SWA] Sovjetrepubliken Swärje

Landen uit de Zandbak die langer dan een half jaar niet voldoende doorontwikkeld zijn
riiga

[SWA] Sovjetrepubliken Swärje

Bericht door riiga » vr 18 jan 2013, 23:23

Sovjetrepubliken Swärje
The Soviet Republic of Swäden

Flag
Spoiler: weergeven
Afbeelding

The flag incorporates the real life flag of the United States, the Soviet Union, the European Union and the colours of Sweden. Together they symbolise the Swädish government and society, built upon Liberty, Solidarity and Unity.
Short facts
Area: 80 314 km²
Population: 4,8 million
Currency: 1 krona = 100 öre (SÄK)
Capital: Göteholm (720 000)
Government: Constitutonal Parliamentary Soviet Republic
Parliament: Swärjes riksnatt (349 seats)
GDP/capita: 31 337 U.S. dollars
Language: Swädish
Religion: None. Church separated in 1953.
Motto: "All makt från folket" ("All power from the people")
Regions: 73 communes
Major cities: Österköping (414 000), Nersala (378 000), Skiteå (223 000), Västerköping (188 000)

Basic introduction
The nation of Swärje (Swäden in English) is located on the continent of Nordania - a northern continent. Swärje borders to the United States of Norje as well as the Finnish Sauna. The only access to the ocean is on the West coast. In the East there is a mountain range, on the border to Norje. Much of Swärje is quite flat and features farmland, but also vast areas of mixed forests. There are two major lakes, Åxen and Haren, with their respective rivers. The road network is quite developed, but motorways are only common along the coast. Major airports are located near Göteholm and Österköping. The current head of state is Oskar the Third (cermonial purposes) and the Prime Soviet is Jöran Såsson. The unicameral parliament has 349 seats and is the highest legislative power, shared with the direct democracy principle of legislative referendums.

Overview map
Afbeelding
(click for full resolution!)

Currently I'm yet to decide if I should go with my Nordic-like continent or join an already existing one. Also, I feel that "The Finnish Sauna" is a bit silly, but until a better neighbouring country is found I'll leave it like that.
I'm from Sweden and will reply in English most of the time, but the main language of this site is still Dutch. ;-)

[SWA] The Soviet Republic of Swäden

Kathor
Geoficticus

Re: [SWA] Sovjetrepubliken Swärje

Bericht door Kathor » vr 18 jan 2013, 23:29

WoW, that's a good start for a beginning country, Välkommen till Atlantis!
Aena te onða teya flu|leya Aena te onða teya flulleya

Marcel
Contacteer:

Bericht door Marcel » za 19 jan 2013, 08:26

Looks nice!
riiga schreef:Currently I'm yet to decide if I should go with my Nordic-like continent or join an already existing one. Also, I feel that "The Finnish Sauna" is a bit silly, but until a better neighbouring country is found I'll leave it like that.
Is there not a possibility to get close at Mandelsofts area ? There are more country's like Schellingen (BRS), Fürstendum Steinmarken (FS) ect. They got even an intercontinental road network, like the European roads here.

riiga

Bericht door riiga » za 19 jan 2013, 11:17

Marcel schreef:Looks nice!

Is there not a possibility to get close at Mandelsofts area ? There are more country's like Schellingen (BRS), Fürstendum Steinmarken (FS) ect. They got even an intercontinental road network, like the European roads here.
Thanks!

Sounds like a plan. I'll talk to him about that and see if there's any way to fit my country in.
I'm from Sweden and will reply in English most of the time, but the main language of this site is still Dutch. ;-)

MandelSoft
Geoficticus
Contacteer:

Bericht door MandelSoft » za 19 jan 2013, 11:33

It may be possible that Nordia is a subcontinent north of the main continent Borealia, just like Scandinavia or the UK in Europe. It may be located north of Zenderen of Steinmarken. Or maybe it's west of Steinmarken, which raises a quiestion: is there anything planned west of Steinmarken?
Beheerder van Schellingen, Imaginië en Nieuwegouwen

TzM23
Geoficticus
Locatie: [NLD] Nijmegen, [RTH] Nao Amerforti, [FOR] Bahalar Davaledeđ, [VTM] Gårshavn

Bericht door TzM23 » za 19 jan 2013, 11:42

Yes, west to Steinmarken is Tholenia and Nodania, so that isn't possible.

I'd like to make my compliments with your country, it looks very nice.
[RTH] Ta Rê Pûblica Tholenia: viewforum.php?f=39
[FOR] Śadar Forźeđ: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=380
[VTM] Republiken Vestmark: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=508

Kaaiman
Geoficticus
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kaaiman » za 19 jan 2013, 11:44

Nice start with a nice map, Riiga. :)

There are some things I where I'd likte to put some questionmarks, though.
  • Your country is so Sweden-like, the name is even phonetically the same as Sverige. This is not wrong, understand me correctly, but it could need some more creativity. Also think about how your country and its language came into being. A colony of Sweden by conquest? Or just Swedish emigrants that became a majority? And if so, what happened to earlier people and settlements?
  • I don't know any place in the world where natural rivers cross each other like the Arån and Harån do, so please change this or find an explanation why it is (i.e. a dug out channel).
  • I have not a single clue how large your country is. It could be a compact map of a large country with the size of the southern part of Sweden, but it could also be a map of a relatively small country like Latvia.
Finally: the above remarks are not meant to put you down, but to encourage you to think twice and develop a better country than you would have done alone. :)
Atlantidië op Atlantis, Geopoeia en op de kaart.

TBR
Geoficticus

Bericht door TBR » za 19 jan 2013, 12:10

Welcome Riiga. Swärje looks like its a former colony of Sweden, but i agree with Kaaiman that Swärje is maybe not so original. Maybe are New-Sweden or West-Sweden options for a new name, but it's your country. I see there's also a Tsjernobyl :lol: I look forward to the further development of Swärje.
Hlalóntáź ezlôr sza órav́úgíz udiár e zlôńár udiósz e gzaǵusz zôlińok hleś. - Gzaǵusz Tanag e Lód
Ardeim, Rodova, Solwezië en Viguros

riiga

Bericht door riiga » za 19 jan 2013, 12:11

Kaaiman schreef:Nice start with a nice map, Riiga. :)
Thanks!
Kaaiman schreef:There are some things I where I'd likte to put some questionmarks though.
  • Your country is so Sweden-like, the name is even phonetically the same as Sverige. This is not wrong, understand me correctly, but it could need some more creativity. Also think about how your country and its language came into being. A colony of Sweden by conquest? Or just Swedish emigrants that became a majority? And if so, what happened to earlier people and settlements?
I was thinking some sort of former colony or settlement founded in the 1600s or 1700s. It explains why the name is so similar, with the spelling more akin to older Swedish. The history part is probably my weakest one.
Kaaiman schreef:[*]I don't know any place in the world where natural rivers cross each other like the Arån and Harån do, so please change this or find an explanation why it is (i.e. a dug out channel).
Yeah, seems quite strange now that you mention it. I'll change it as soon as I'm at my home computer again.
Kaaiman schreef:[*]I have not a single clue how large your country is. It could be a compact map of a large country with the size of the southern part of Sweden, but it could also be a map of a relatively small country like Latvia.[/list]
The short facts section states "Area: 80 314 km²", a bit short of double the area of the Netherlands, but I haven't calculated a scale for the map yet.

Kaaiman
Geoficticus
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kaaiman » za 19 jan 2013, 12:34

^^ It's quite tricky to define a scale (1:x) for a digital map in an illustration program, but a scale bar with distances should be sufficient.
Atlantidië op Atlantis, Geopoeia en op de kaart.

SjorsB
Geoficticus
Locatie: Nijmegen [NL] / Cadhemis [UN] / Miletta [IC] / Kongə [PI]
Landen: UNE, IRC
Contacteer:

Bericht door SjorsB » za 19 jan 2013, 12:44

Great way to start, Riiga! :d As my colleague-geofictici said, the name could be some bit more original. But (@hafrabaisfun) West-Sweden is not really original...

My compliments for the great flag, but I think it would be more logical if there would be some red in it, the colour of the communism. But I'm not quite sure if that makes it more beautiful...
Your map is also looking good, everything about that is said already.
Keep up doing the good work. :d

sirdanilot
Geoficticus

Bericht door sirdanilot » za 19 jan 2013, 12:48

Inkscape has a measuring tool so you can figure out a scale bar quite easily. I based mine on the map of Schellingen, because I incorporated that into my map of Burghteland. You could do the same I suppose, it's quite convenient to have the same scale as someone else's map.

I would suggest to place your country on a new continent north of Borealia, but still on a distance that could be crossed with a ferry, anything more than say 20 kms. Your nieghbouring countries will probably never be filled by an existing person, but you could imagine a rough background for them to work with.

Also fun to have a soviet country !

Kathor
Geoficticus

Bericht door Kathor » za 19 jan 2013, 12:58

Well there is still a continent to the East of Borealia (Borealië) Petrioria which still isn't finished, the Northern and Middle parts are like Scandinavia while the southern parts are more like France (and the extreme south-west like the Côte d'Azur). u can attack yourself to Kalamanië which is a part of the Rojamma Tholenia or Nionia.

TzM23
Geoficticus
Locatie: [NLD] Nijmegen, [RTH] Nao Amerforti, [FOR] Bahalar Davaledeđ, [VTM] Gårshavn

Bericht door TzM23 » za 19 jan 2013, 13:07

I guess you mean attach? I'm not up for a war. :P

And, excuse me, it's You instread of U.
[RTH] Ta Rê Pûblica Tholenia: viewforum.php?f=39
[FOR] Śadar Forźeđ: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=380
[VTM] Republiken Vestmark: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=508

Kathor
Geoficticus

Bericht door Kathor » za 19 jan 2013, 14:06

i'm sorry, i regularly use u instead of you on the internet :$

yes i mean attach ;-)

SjorsB
Geoficticus
Contacteer:

Bericht door SjorsB » za 19 jan 2013, 14:18

I doubt if you can start a new continent above Borealia, I think there isn't enough space (occupied by e.g. Iceland and Greenland)

Kathor
Geoficticus

Bericht door Kathor » za 19 jan 2013, 14:23

Well, that's not the real problem, islands as Madeira and the Canary Islands might already be part of another country (or in it's waters). the real problem is that up north the climate becomes colder and colder and eventually you will get a Greenland like climate with no possibilities on any "normal" country

TBR
Geoficticus

Bericht door TBR » za 19 jan 2013, 16:23

If Swärje is located north of Borealia, then it probably lays above the Solwes Island, in that case I prefere a distance of 100 kilometres.
Hlalóntáź ezlôr sza órav́úgíz udiár e zlôńár udiósz e gzaǵusz zôlińok hleś. - Gzaǵusz Tanag e Lód
Ardeim, Rodova, Solwezië en Viguros

Snelwegfreak

Bericht door Snelwegfreak » za 19 jan 2013, 17:23

I wish you all the best with your project Riiga. However, I agree with Kaaiman. It was a bit too much Sweden-like, or maybe still is. I'll just wait for more progress before I criticise it. Again, good luck! :d

riiga

Bericht door riiga » za 19 jan 2013, 18:14

It may be, though on the other hand a lot of the countries I've seen here pretty much look like a variant of the Benelux countries. ;)

Snelwegfreak

Bericht door Snelwegfreak » za 19 jan 2013, 18:25

That's correct. And we're all trying to change that. At least I am.

SjorsB
Geoficticus
Contacteer:

Bericht door SjorsB » za 19 jan 2013, 18:41

^^ Oh, and I try too! Uneta is located closer to the United States, not too close to Europe. I try to add some American next to the multiple Dutch / Western-European elements.

Lars
Geoficticus

Bericht door Lars » za 19 jan 2013, 18:42

Welcome to Atlantis!
Have fun with your country! :d
[EDU] Demokratiske Republyke Eduko [NRV] Tér Eqín Nerivaní • [script="gazuri"]Neraflara ga Lara Gazurtoseti[/script]

riiga

Bericht door riiga » zo 20 jan 2013, 20:12

Thanks for all your kind comments!

I'm still working on most stuff, but I've updated the map to fix some of the small errors, such as the two rivers crossing each other. :lol:
The URL is the same, so just force a reload of the image if the new version doesn't show up (Ctrl-F5).

Snelwegfreak

Bericht door Snelwegfreak » zo 20 jan 2013, 20:43

Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to the rest of your country. For example, your road design and signage. Are those Sweden-like as well?

Gesloten